"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be."

-Shel Silverstein

3.13.2010

WARNING: THIS POST MAY CAUSE SADNESS.

Papa


So I haven't posted anything this week because my grandpa passed away. The funeral was today and it was very beautiful. My aunt sang and then spoke about Papa and then the choir director from their church read the letters some of the neighbors wrote. I wrote one from me and Cade, but there was no way that I was going to be able to get up in front of everyone and read it without breaking down. It was hard enough to hear someone else read it. I thought I would post what I wrote so you might be able to get a small sense of what Papa was like.

Papa meant more to us then he will ever know. Knowing that we were going to go to Grammy and Papa’s not only meant pizza, coke, and ice cream, it meant spending time with our wonderful grandparents. Knowing that we will never go down in the basement and see Papa sitting there watching TV with a bag of candy beside him is hard to cope with, but we all know that he is in a better place. Being around Papa would brighten anyone’s day. It never failed that we were offered a drink or something to eat, that’s just the way he was, always trying to make sure that everyone had what they wanted. He was all you could ask for in a grandparent. We never left Grammy and Papa’s without realizing how blessed we were. We had a grandpa that was caring, funny, and always there willing to help us any way that he could. We will miss seeing his smiling face when we walked into the house, we will miss someone always stealing our macaroni and cheese, we will miss knowing that Papa is always there to help us with things we could never figure out, but mostly we’ll miss not being able to speak to him again or tell him, “I love you,” and hear his simple response, “Love you, too.” Having Papa as a part of our lives was a simple way of letting us know that we were blessed and I know that some day we will all be reunited and we will then again be able to experience the loving grandpa we miss so much.

It was really good to see all of the family again, but I wish it wasn't under those circumstances. Here are some pictures that I took today of the flowers that were on the casket and the pallbearers and preacher.


the flowers

pallbearers and others involved in the service

the program

I know this is a depressing subject, but I thought it deserved a post :)

Tomorrow thought will hopefully be fun! For Weyman's birthday, we're getting the family together and taking pictures. It doesn't sound too fun, but I'm hoping that the outcome will be AWESOME!

2 comments:

  1. aw shelley, that letter was really nice. i'm sorry all of this happened, but it's comforting to know that he's happy in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. My thought are with you and your family :(

    ReplyDelete